Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Intuition

Now let me say first that I grew up in a family that valued science and rational thinking. So did my ex-husband and most of the people I’ve known over the years. A few years ago, though, I started listening to that inner voice that is generally called intuition. Maybe it’s the subconscious synthesizing information I didn’t know I had. Maybe it’s something more profound than that. I’m not sure if the explanation matters. I only know that it’s been an interesting experience.

I began with little things. Things that didn’t seem to matter much. And I’d let my intuition guide me. Interesting things started happening. It got even more interesting when I was going across country not sure where I’d end up. Intuition led me to an apartment with a landlady whose daughter had taken a workshop from me at an RWA conference a couple of years earlier. When I was house hunting in Texas, intuition guided me to the house I ended up buying.

I’ve come to trust that intuition though I’ll admit there are times I’m reluctant to tell people that’s how I’m doing things. Maybe it’s that my subconscious filters information more efficiently than my conscious mind. As I said, I doubt it matters what the explanation is—experiment has shown me it works.

So I’m curious. How many of you out there also listen to your intuition? Do you have any stories about it that you’d like to share?

Hoping your intuition is guiding you as usefully as mine is guiding me.

April