Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fires, Guest Blogging and Feeling Under the Weather

My apologies if I'm not entirely coherent today. I've come down with a bad cold. But I did want to post about the fires in California and ask for your good thoughts for all the families and firefighters affected by them.

It's easy, sometimes, to tune out news about places distant from where we are. But it can suddenly hit home too. I just found out that my brother's home was destroyed by those California fires. He and his family are safe. But his home is gone. And so is the building where he teaches his classes at Westmont College.

He's not the only one. Too many people have lost their homes in this latest round of fires. Too many people have been injured or killed. It seems as if these kinds of disasters are growing more frequent. Or maybe it's that we've become more aware of them. Either way, a lot of people could use your good thoughts and prayers right about now.

On a much happier note, I'm blogging at the Wet Noodle Posse blog this week on Wednesday, November 19th. I hope you'll go check it out. I'll be talking a bit about Book in a Week and why I believe in it so much as a way to grow as writers.

Which reminds me....I should settle on dates for my next online classes. I'm leaning toward a 2 week class on revisions for the beginning of December and my next Book in a Week class to start the beginning of January when I figure lots of people will be ready to dive into writing again after the holidays. Look for more information in next week's blog.

Meanwhile, please keep everyone affected by the California fires in your thoughts and prayers.