Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve 2008

Christmas Eve is bittersweet for me. I love the sense of hope I see, the generosity of people, the joy on children's faces, even the look of bewilderment on my dog's face as she stares at the Christmas tree and tries to figure out why it's there.

I'll enjoy seeing my daughter tonight and having her sleep over. I'll talk with my son on the phone and wish he weren't so far away. I'll light a candle for my father who died on Christmas eve years ago. As I said, it's a bittersweet time for me.

We have choices. To focus on what's wrong in the world and what worries us or to count our blessings and find reasons for joy EVERY DAY. I'm putting in a plug for the latter because I truly believe it's what's best for us and for the world.

It is when we remember our past successes and celebrate any and all reasons for joy in our lives that we are most likely to think of solutions to our life challenges. It is when we hold onto that sense of self-worth and faith in ourselves that we are most likely to find ways to become even more the kind of people we want to be. It is when we allow ourselves to celebrate who we are that we are most likely to be able to open our hearts to others.

When we know what brings joy, we can do that which expands the amount of joy in the world—and make it a better place for everyone no matter what challenges exist.

Wishing everyone much joy and peace, good health and success now and throughout all of 2009!

April
.