Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Technology

When technology works, I love it. When it doesn't I want to cuss like crazy. Like this week when I discovered that at least one person sent me email last week asking to sign up for an online class and I never got it!

In her case, she emailed me again (wise woman!). I was able to add her to the class and bring her up to speed without much trouble. But it left me worrying who else might have had email to me (or mine to them) end up disappearing into a black hole in cyberspace.

Then there was the time my cell phone fell apart. Literally. They couldn't even retrieve any information from the simm(?) card inside.

Which, as a writer, got me thinking......

What if? What if a hero/heroine lose contact because an email gets lost in cyberspace?

What if a critical piece of information gets lost when a cell phone with the video gets destroyed?

What if a protagonist relies on technology and that technology (whatever it might be) fails?

Lots and lots of lovely possibilities!

Hmmm, so maybe even when technology doesn't work, there's a silver lining--at least if one is a writer looking for plot!

-------
PS Just added a link to this post on Facebook and it pulled up a jpeg photo from my blog post on the Sacred Shelf bookstore! Clearly the technology gremlins are out to get me this week......