Saturday, April 18, 2015

Some characters just grab your heart...

Even after over 30 published books, there are some characters who still just grab my heart when I think about them. Miss Tibbles, of course, but others as well, including Drusilla Lawford and Lord Pensley from THE NABOB'S WIDOW.

The Nabob's Widow originally came out in 1986 as a traditional Signet Regency. I loved the book then. I still loved it as I reconstructed the book from digital files 30 years old, created with software long vanished. Even when I was going through the tedious task of removing all the extraneous carriage returns and other glitches in the converted files, I found myself falling in love with the characters all over again.

The funny thing is that as much as I loved the original story, I could see a few ways to tweak it to make it even better, and because I am bringing my back list books out myself, I could do that. I had fun giving a darling young boy an even bigger role than he had before.

I also got to fix a few historical details. (The Nabob's Widow was written before the advent of the internet as a research tool for writers.) I hope I caught them all but...life being what it is, apologies in advance if I missed some.

As always, there's love and honor and courage, hope and challenge, danger as well as kindness and history, of course, because this is, after all, a Regency. I hope all of you will love these characters as much as I do.


iBooks    Kindle    Nook   Kobo   Print