Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Remembering

I don't often post these days, but I wanted to share some thoughts with you today about 9/11:

17 years ago today, I watched in horror, as we all did, as the towers came down. I have loved ones in NYC and worried for their safety. I mourned for all the lives lost. I cheered the courage of those who went in to help. I pondered what it would mean for our country--and the world. All around me I saw people rise to be their best. I also saw people begin to cling to whatever scrap of control they could--because it was so scary feeling helpless. People who are afraid do not behave well. All around me, I see people who still carry that fear--and desperately try to keep things the way it used to be. When they felt safe. But the world changes. Life cannot be controlled. We either go forward with hope and a determination to create the best possible world or we slide backwards into darkness. I wish for all of us the courage to choose hope. To choose kindness and love and building each other up, not tearing each other down. That would be the real victory over what happened 17 years ago.