Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Table

I found a kitchen table and chairs. It isn’t a fancy one but a much loved set. Handed down to each child as he or she went off to college and needed furniture. And when I look at it now sitting in my home I will think of the stories and the love that come with it.

I’d been thinking I wanted an octagonal table. With cream colored padded chairs. And a leaf to expand it when my daughter comes to visit with her friends. I thought maybe I was nuts. An octagonal table that expands? Where did that come from? But then I saw it listed on Craigslist. Cheap. I called and asked if they could deliver it—offered extra if they would. And they said yes.

It came today. And she said it had passed through every child in the family as they went off to college. I look at it and see stories. I look at it and see love and somehow it seems right for it to be here now. If I ever want a fancy table and chairs, well, there’s room for that in the dining room on the other side of the kitchen. This is the set I will use every day. And every day I will sit in the padded chairs, look out at my garden and smile.

Sometimes new isn’t best but rather those things that come to us infused with a history of love.

April